Eating Disorders are not Disordered Eating
It seems like practically every woman in the US has Disordered Eating. That's not an eating disorder, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia. But it is a way of "eating clean" or focusing on fear of food's ability to make you gain weight. There is no proven food that is "bad" or "good" except in your mind.
It's an exhausting way to live to be constantly reading labels, eating different foods from your family and avoiding going to places where your will power NOT to eat is challenged! That is disordered eating.
Dieting and “watching your weight” seems to be the national past time in the US. In fact, dieting is the real epidemic, NOT obesity!
It’s hard to be anywhere with women when someone is not talking about how they’re on a diet, how they ate too much, how big their stomach looks, how they "feel fat" or how they have to go to the gym and work off their lunch. As a heavier woman, I realize that the women expressing all this negative talk around me aren't even aware that they are disparaging someone who is heavier that they consider a friend!
Why Your Diet Failed
You didn't fail, your diet failed. It is not your fault! These same women, who are still thin and an average weight are oblivious to the FACTS that dieting actually ends up increasing your weight! They think THAT is the lie- that of course, you can diet and lose weight. Sure you can, but it comes back. And when it does, they think it’s because they ate too much and blame themselves. Or it’s YOUR fault because you ate too much, didn’t exercise enough or you did something else to make yourself gain back the weight.
Learn The Scientific Facts About The Effects of Dieting
One of the books I've found that is easily readable and shows the science behind diet failure is Body Respect, by Dr. Lindo Bacon. I cannot recommend highly enough that you read this book. And re-read it every time you want to start a new diet! In fact, give it to any of your friends or relatives who encourage you to lose weight.
Even scientific articles and well researched books that discuss how dieting fails 92-95 percent of the time have still not gotten to the point where they stop blaming the dieter. It's like they are blind to the facts they don't want to believe! The articles discuss how people couldn’t keep up the “lifestyle change” necessary to maintain their weight, or they drank cheaper wine than another group in an actual research study! They ignore the research showing that a great percentage of overweight people have inherited their body type! They ignore the fact that STRESS has a huge effect on why people gain weight in the first place. And finally they ignore the fact that the body is doing it's job when your lost weight comes back because it is protecting your body from starvation!
Hate Your Fat Body?
There is a chronic battle against and hatred of fat. It’s not just in the US, but other countries look at people in the US are routinely comment and laugh about how fat we are as a nation. These statistics are alarming and come from Monte Nido addiction treatment programs.
The reason that women (and increasingly men) go on a diet in the first place is because they hate their fat body, their belly fat and how they look. They feel unattractive. But it is this very hatred that puts one on the slippery slope of dieting and ends up with WEIGHT GAIN instead of sustainable weight loss! In fact, it's nearly impossible to practice mindful eating when you still have a mindset of hating your body.
Statistics on Dieting and Eating Disorders
- 95% of diets fail and most will regain their lost weight in 1-5 years Source: Statistics on Weight Discrimination: A Waste of Talent, The Council on Size and Weight Discrimination, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (http://www.cswd.org/index.html
- 75% of American women surveyed endorse unhealthy thoughts, feelings or behaviors related to food or their bodiesSource: Three Out Of Four American Women Have Disordered Eating, Survey Suggests, Science News, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080422202514.htm)
- 91% of women recently surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting, 22% dieted “often” or “always” Source: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
- Almost half of American children between 1st – 3rd grade want to be thinner and half of 9 – 10 year old girls are dieting Source: Rate of Eating Disorders in Kids Keeps Rising, US Department of Health and Human Services, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx?docID=646574)
- The “obesity industry” (commercial weight-loss programs, weight-loss drug manufacturers and bariatric surgery centers) will likely top $315 billion this year. Nearly 3% of the overall U.S. economy
- Source: “The War On Obesity” was declared on American soil by former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop in 1996. Big Fat Facts Blog, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (http://www.bigfatfacts.com/)
- Childhood obesity has tripled since the ‘80s when America first called out its “War Against Obesity” Source: Childhood Obesity, US Department of Health and Human Services, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/child_obesity/)
- 35% of “occasional dieters” progress into pathological dieting, (disordered eating) and as many as 25%, advance to full-blown eating disorders Source: Pathological dieting, precursor to eating disorder, Philadelphia Eating Disorder Examiner, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.examiner.com/eating-disorder-in-philadelphia/pathological-dieting-precursor-to-eating-disorders)
Statistics on Eating Disorders
- At least 10 million females and 1 million males are fighting a life and death battle with an eating disorder and million more are struggling with binge eating disorder Source: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
- 40% of newly identified cases of anorexia are in girls 15 – 19 years oldSource: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
- There has been a rise in incidences of anorexia in young women 15 – 19 every decade since the 1930’s Source: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
- The incidence of bulimia in 10 – 39 year old women TRIPLED between 1988 and 1993 Source: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
- Anorexia is the most lethal psychiatric disorder, carrying a sixfold increased risk of death — four times the death risk from major depression Source: Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia, WebMed, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=146869)
- The death rate is worse for those diagnosed with anorexia in their 20s whose at 18 times higher than for healthy people their age Source: Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia, WebMed, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=146869)
- For females between 15 – 24 who suffer from anorexia, the mortality rate associated with the illness is twelve times higher than the death rate of ALL other causes of death Source: Information obtained from the National Association of Eating Disorders, Retrieved July 18, 2011, from (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/index.php)
Oprah's Effect on Weight Stigma
It’s one of the saddest things to think about how many girls and women are trying to lose weight. And now that Oprah has bought a share in Weight Watchers, she is promoting dieting for young children. It is shocking and disgraceful!
It is NOT because their health is impacted by their weight. The evidence continuously shows that extra weight does not make you sick. Being FIT is the most important parameter of health!
These Diet Industry Lies have been discredited by the excellent research of un-biased researchers and journalists. But women really don’t care that their weight and health are unrelated in great measure. Even Medical Doctors have fallen from the shoddy research of the Diet Industry and the Diet Industry Lobby that makes BILLIONS forcing females into believing their self worth is totally dependent on what size jeans they wear. These lies are making women emotionally sick- and some are taking it to the point where they develop full blown eating disorders that can KILL them.
And perhaps the cruelest cut of all is:
THERE IS NO PERMANENT CURE for being overweight!
Chronic Dieting Damages your Metabolism
Chronic dieting, and under-eating puts your body in a state of physical stress! The natural response from not eating enough is for your body to slow down your metabolism to prevent starvation. Dieting also makes you feel lethargic and unmotivated. AND if you over-exercise, the normal response from a healthy body is to MAKE YOU HUNGRY to get back those calories you burned!! The Diet Industry knows this, and profits richly from convincing you that the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more.
Dr. Oz is a Corporate Shill for the Diet Industry
I am in a permanent state of anger at Dr. Oz, and all those sites that you show you the “before and after” pictures. But they don’t show you the “after the after” picture, because that person who lost weight in 7 days is now heavy again! 92-95 percent of those dieters REGAINED the weight, plus additional insurance pounds each time you diet!! And that is more dangerous for your health than yo-yo dieting, also known as weight cycling.
Gaslighting by the Diet Industry
The Diet Industry gaslights you to make you believe that when you gain back the weight you struggled to lose that it's YOUR fault. It’s all a big fat lie! Read the apology from one ethical counselor who apologizes after misleading her clients. Chronic dieting can damage your metabolism to the point that you can’t lose weight no matter how little you eat, and how much you exercise!
I used to weigh over three hundred pounds. The only method to lose weight that i’ve found is to…you guessed it, eat less and exercise more. Starting out i could eat 2000 or more calories a day and i would exercise for maybe an hour or 30 minutes a few times a week. the more weight i lost the more i had to exercise and the less i could eat. now its 1300 a day and two hours of exercise a day. Granted im still trying to lose weight but its frustrating as hell. im tired and im hungry dammit. im afraid when i finally reach my goal ill have to starve myself and kill myself exercising to maintain it.
This is not the way to live your life. If you are tired of that yo-yo diet syndrome, tired of missing out on parties and meals with friends, obsessive about every morsel you put in your mouth, it’s time for a change. It’s time to manage your stress and learn to eat when you are hungry and ENJOY the food you eat!
Consider this: instead of taking medication to relieve the pain in your foot from a pebble in your shoe,
REMOVE THE PEBBLE!
Diet is the Toxic Medication
Are you ready to get out of the revolving door of losing and regaining weight? Are you ready to finally manage the stress that got you to the state you’re in? Sign up for my myth-busting report. Then contact me to set up a 15 minute consultation. Let’s get you started on your path back to normal eating and a happier and healthier life!